1 August 2012

I have recently returned from a month of travelling around Europe by train. This painting, 'Starry Night Over the Rhone' by Vincent Van Gogh instantly evoked so many memories of the trip. The painting itself holds no affiliation, I neither saw it in Paris nor visited the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam but somehow it captures, quite perfectly, the essence of the warmth and freedom that was thrust upon me upon stepping off the plane and starting my journey.

The experience has thoroughly changed me, however clichéd it sounds. Living for the day, in vibrant cities enriched in culture and history was always but a dream to me, until then. I never tired of rambling aimlessly through cobbled streets and over great bridges; through busy market squares and along tree lined boulevards . Mentally and emotionally, I matured in the most beautiful way. No longer were the small niggling questions, that plagued me in my small, claustrophobic home town, of any relevance to anything. All that mattered was that I was here, now. Past and future became meaningless words, the present was all that counted.

No comments: